Wednesday 16 October 2019

Another Season Over On The River Dee

Well, that's another season come and gone on the River Dee. It has been a hard slog for many beats this year with a distinct lack of salmon appearing in the catch returns. However, I do think that there was more fish in the pools than the catches suggest but it has by no means been anywhere near as good as it should be. It may have something to do with Storm Frank and the havoc it caused at the end of December 2015 or it may be something else entirely? Who knows? Whatever the reason, it has been difficult to stay positive at times but if you were in the right place at the right time then there was fish there to be caught.

Despite the doom and gloom so prevalent up and down the valley, I have had a decent enough season considering. I have picked away each time I have been out and managed to connect with something on most occasions recently. This is in no small part down to a few ghillies up and own the river who, without their generosity I would have not been half as successful as I have been. They know who they are and for that, I you all very much indeed. Time t put the feet up with a dram or two before we start all over in a couple of months time!

The season finished on the 15th October and I was fortunate enough to find myself fishing on the Ballogie and Carlogie beats of the river thanks to an invite from head ghillie, Sean Stanton. Water conditions were ideal and I managed to land a few fish for my couple of days. Just the same as Friday, the Float/Hover/S1 and Pink France N Snaelda proved to be the killer fly for me. It was nice to bow out for 2019 with a few fish on the book.

A 5lb Grilse from the March Pool at Carlogie.
A 7lb hen Salmon from the Boat Pool at Carlogie.
My last fish of the 2019 season. A feisty cock fish around the 5lb mark from the Top Gannet at Ballogie.

No comments:

Post a Comment