Thursday 31 October 2019

A Couple Of Salmon From The Don

I had the day off on Monday and spent fishing the River Don up near Alford. The river was sitting at 20” on the gauge following a 2” rise the day before. It was frosty in the morning on arrival but once the air temperature warmed up a bit this seemed to bring the fish on the take.
An Autumn hen salmon from the River Don. 
Ready to go back. 
My set up was my 12ft 6in LTS Explosive with a floating line and a 6ft 7ips tip. My fly of choice was a size 10 Red Ally’s. This combo worked well and I was fortunate enough to land two fish. The first being a 10lb hen Salmon and the second being a 5lb cock Grilse. Both fish were safely returned.
A feisty grilse posing for a photo.
Back he goes
The Don has fished well this season and hopefully the improvement in salmon numbers will bode well for the seasons to come. Here hoping it’s a good spawning year too.

No comments:

Post a Comment