Wednesday 16 October 2019

A Day To Remember On The River Don

Friday 11th October turned out to be a good day for me on the River Don when I was fortunate enough to land four salmon for my efforts. The Don had been running at a good height following a rise in water the weekend before. This rise must have brought some fish on the take as my Dad landed 3 salmon of his on the Wednesday. 

The first salmon I landed was from the Manse Poll on the ADAA's Lower Fintray beat. It was a small grilse around the 5lb mark. I fished the pool several times after without a touch and I decided to head off around 11am. Whilst breaking up my rod and putting my gear back in the car I had a thought of heading up river to fish at Manar. This turned out to be a great decision as I landed 3 salmon there between 12.30pm and 1.45pm! Float/Hover/S1 shooting head with a 10ft 5ips tip and a 10mm Pink Franc N Snaelda doing the damage.

It is great to see the Don fishing well this season and although it is still a long way off it's best, it is another welcome improvement on the previous year. Hopefully this upward trend will continue next year too. 

A good strt to the morning. A 5lb hen Grilse from Lower Fintray.

Two's Up. A 5lb cock Grilse from Manar.

Hatrick! A 7lb cock Salmon from Manar.

Number 4. A 4lb hen Grilse alsofrom Manar.

No comments:

Post a Comment