Thursday 28 July 2011

Deecastle River Dee 27-07-2011


My Dad and I had a day on Deecastle beat. It's part of the Glen Tanar estate and it has some of the best looking fly water pools I have ever fished. We arrived at the Red Brae hut arout 8.30am and it was already bright and sunny, which during the afternoon would see temperatures reach 26c. Not the best conditions for salmon fishing. Most of the pools had fish splashing about in them which was encouraging. I managed to land a 20lb cock fish from the Ministers Pool just above Dinnet Bridge at 1.30pm. The fish took a size 10 Black Francis and I only had 10lb leader on also which made my heart skip a few beats during the 30 minute battle! Here are some pictures of our day.
I started in this pool called the Highburn. Stunning views!
Red Brae pool where my Dad started in the morning.
After fishing down through Highburn and Red Brae without a touch I headed up to Pol Slachd.
Fishing the Pol Slachd.
Looking up from Polbaw to Pol Slachd.
Minister's Pool where I landed my biggest ever Salmon.
Let the battle commence!
30 minutes later and safely in the net. I only had 10lb leader on which got  wrapped around the tail of the fish during playing it, but luckily in came un-done. The fish had some unstoppable runs and had me down under the bridge at one point. I have never been so nervous playing a fish when I seen it for the first time. After calculating its measurement  (38" long) we estimated it at between 20-21lbs according to the weight chart from Fish Dee and Ally Gowans.. I recorded it as 20lbs.
Just a couple of shots of how thick the fish was.
A quick trophy shot before slipping it back.
The fly that did the damage which I tied the night before. It's a size 10 Black Francis.

No comments:

Post a Comment